Monday 15 June 2009

JUNE 15TH - 21:03

tonight i am very tired. today was a long day, lots of waiting...my saxophone sounds amazing in the auditorium though, i surprised myself. i haven't played in five years, and picked it up a couple of weeks ago. i'm very excited about tomorrow night's show - the sound in the drill hall will be amazing, the lights will be spectacular, and i need to take tonight to make sure my outfit is fabulous...i love singing let's dance and heroes, i get to scream and wail.. 

on the train home i noticed that you can see the cathedral from much further away than i thought - it's hidden on the horizon between a group of trees close to metheringham. i only saw it through chance, in three years of using this train route i've never noticed it before..

need to start shopping for glastonbury this week - luckily the weather will not be a monsoon,and we're to expect quite an average, slightly pleasant weeekend in terms of weather. i'm unsure as to whether i'd prefer a monsoon...

i've been worrying about the summer today. i really need to try hard to make sure i don't lose myself, i always struggle in the summer... such a vast amount of time with no structure or objectives. i think this summer will be a good opportunity for me to have the stereotypical 'best summer ever' that young people always proclaim certain summers to be...i have my three very best friends and that makes me happy. i want to make sure i spend as much time with kelly as possible, as i daren't think about how much i will miss her when i move away.


i am trying really hard to find a scene from la vie en rose that epitomises the importance of honesty, emotion and truth in art. it's one of the most important pieces of film in my life..i can't find it so i will describe it. edith piaf is so alive in my thoughts, senses and emotions...she will never die.

in the previous scene edith leaves marcel a message on his answer phone, demanding he comes to her at once as she cannot live another day without him. the aforementioned scene shows edith awaken, and turn to see marcel lying on the bed beside her. she is overjoyed, and smothers him in kisses. she makes coffee and brings it to the bedroom, a beaming smile on her face. she remembers a gift she has for him, and leaves the bedroom to find it. she is exuberant and alive, excited to give the gift to her love..

she looks for the gift (which happens to be a watch) and asks her house staff, one by one, to help her find it. the house staff look mortified, as if they have been crying for hours, each of them bearing an expression of supreme anxiety and upset. edith is confused, and becomes angry as to where the watch is, and why her staff are acting in this way..

..edith goes back to the bedroom. marcel isn't there. she screams his name, and breaks down, tears streaming from her face. she can barely stand, she struggles to breathe, her body convulses, her senses uncontrollable. a trusted member of staff tearfully informs edith of marcel's death, the plane he spontaneously boarded to see her never landed on french soil. 

edith is distraught, she reaches out, she shakes, she stumbles, she is hysterical. she walks down a corridor in her parisian apartment, and the camera turns in full cycle, so we can see what lies at the end of the corridor - the stage of edith's most cherished venue, l'olympia, to an entranced and eager crowd.

edith piaf never performed. she existed, what the audience saw was nudity, honesty, power, weakness, strength, vulnerability, self affliction, self preservation, humanity....





beauty is a word, and thus doesn't do this song justice. it was voted 4th most beautiful french song of all time. who's to compare beauty?

her eyes, her beautiful hands, her holy voice. 


edith piaf - l'hymne a l'amour (a hymn to love)

'the blue sky above us could collapse,
and the earth could well fall to pieces - matters little to me if you love me.
i don't give a damn about the whole world.

as long as love floods my mornings,
as long as my body quivers under your hands,
problems matter little to me, my love - since you love me.

i would dye my hair blonde if you asked me to.
i would tear down the moon, steal a fortune
if you asked it of me.

i would renounce my country, 
i would renounce my friends,
if you asked it of me.

all can really laugh at me, 
i would do no matter what - if you asked it of me.

if one day life tears you away from me,
if you die far away from me - matters little to me if you love me,
for i will die aswell.

we will have for us eternity in the immense blue sky,
in heaven - no more problems.
my love, believe that we love eachother.

god reunites those who love eachother.'

No comments:

Post a Comment