Thursday 18 June 2009

JUNE 18TH - 19:21


today has been a lovely day. i woke up at around 12, slept in again...watched a channel 4 show about a middle aged couple who sold up their lives in derbyshire to move to the north welsh countryside, to buy a post office and start a new life...they were a completely ordinary couple, but the companionship they had was amazing, although again nothing out the ordinary. devotion and companionship is commonplace, but that doesn't degrade the beauty and power of it. but the majority of the normal public take this for granted, and those that are aware of the beauty of this crave it all the more. that said, they really were plain, they were both factory workers who had been made redundant...still inspired me though...

went into lincoln at around 2.00PM, met ryan and chesca at the angel, got a medium honeycomb latte, ended up paying for a large though...too polite to say anything, the coffee was good...

...sat outside for about 45 minutes, ended up talking to a random woman about who would win a fight between wolverine and riddick - i said that desperate dan would win hands down, then we realised how weird it is that he still lives with his auntie aggie, and that he manages to consume and digest cow horns...


ryan and i went glastonbury shopping - well, his money hadn't transferred into his account so it was effectively me shopping and ryan commentating. bought two vests from topman, and reserved a hoodie to pick up tomorrow morning. i was forced to drop my vendettas and buy two pairs of sneakers, a pair of trackie bottoms, ten pairs of thick socks and a pair of black skinnies from primark - all absolute bargains...then bought a pair of traditional glasto wellies from boyes - £8...


saw kate at the train station and took the train home with her, had a lovely talk. she's really excited about the das moustache party tomorrow night - i don't know whether it'll be as intense as the last one, that was like a deleted scene from skins, but this one will be memorable - chris and kelly are coming, so it will be a night to remember. spoke with kate about the perks of turning eighteen, but the inevitable anti-climax it presents...i told her that she will have a blast, and she will.



got my mum to pick me up from the train station, had too many bags to carry and they were primark bags - so they were ripping left right and centre. came home, and showed off my purchases. she had bought me some handwash and a nifty little first aid kit to take with me - she's such a motherly mother...

...had an amazing dinner, pepper steak, potato wedges and peas...was beautiful. had a conversation with my mother and sister about the show on tuesday night. they both think i'm going to be famous, my sister thinks i'll be as big as patrick wolf. imagine!! if i succeed in marrying him we'll be  john and yoko, but credible in the music and art scenes!!!


my mother told me that she hates how alexandra burke sacrificed the beauty of hallelujah and certain phrases within it in favour of lyrics that would promote the song as a christmas, accessible smash...my sister told me she absolutely loves joanna newsom (i already knew this), and i told her she needs to get into bjork...


i told her to listen to the vespertine album, one of the most beautiful pieces of art i have ever witnessed....



had a conversation with my mother about music in general, spoke about joni mitchell, fats domino, nina simone, prince' superiority over michael jackson. she said that leonard cohen is to bob dylan what the supremes are to the spice girls - i thoroughly enjoyed this, however i told her that bob dylan is still, inevitably, undeniably important, and at times a fantastic artist.

this said, my favourite bob dylan moment doesn't feature his presence at all. joan baez covering it ain't me babe...

she has the voice of an absolute angel, and is such an organic, friendly, pure woman...her voice has the stunning vibrato of edith piaf, with the softness of joni mitchell...eyes you could wander for days in...

'this is a protest song called no, no, no - it ain't me babe. it's dedicated to all the married people in the audience, and all the people who are about to get married - i guess i'm anti marriage..'

the face of the smiling girl, absolutely enthralled with the warmth of this woman...so natural, so real..



the love joan baez had for bob dylan makes this recital even more poignant - she takes bob dylan's emotions, and turns them on their head, she aims the pistol right back at him...


'move away from my window,leave at your own chosen speed.
i'm not the one you want babe,i'm not the one you need.
you say you're looking for someone,never weak - and always strong.
to protect you and defend you, whether you are right or wrong.
someone to open each and every door. but it ain't me babe,
no, no, no it ain't me babe. it ain't me you're looking for babe.

go lightly from the ledge babe, go lightly on the ground.
i'm not the one you want babe,i will only let you down.
'you say you're looking for someone who will promise never to part,
someone to close his eyes for you, someone to close his heart.
someone to die for you and more, but it ain't me babe.
no, no, no, it ain't me babe - it ain't me you're looking for babe.

go melt back into the night babe, everything inside's made of stone.
there's nothing here removing, and anyway i'm not alone.
you say you're looking for someone, to pick you up each time you fall.
to gather flowers constantly and come each time you call.
a lover for your life and nothing more, but it ain't me babe.
no, no, no it ain't me babe. it ain't me you're looking for babe.'


the feminine strength reminds me of my love for julia margaret cameron....

Julia Margaret Cameron, Divine Love, Mary Hillier 1865. 





No comments:

Post a Comment